Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
Sunday, December 27, 2009
On being stalked ... part 2
When I was in my early 20's I lived with a guy. A guy who, strangely enough, I met in said resort town where Crazy Guy was. He was my first "serious" relationship, and in the beginning he was very, very nice to me. We got along well for quite a while; I got along well with his family, and we moved in together. Then he started hanging out with people who were into drugs. He would leave Friday morning for work, and wander into out apartment again either late on Sunday, or more and more often not until Monday after work ... in the same clothes he had left in Friday morning. He also became physically and financially abusive. I briefly rationalized it that he was bigger and stronger than me, and that he didn't realize he was hurting me when he cuffed me across the head.
It took a while, but I eventually got over that. I suggested that maybe the relationship had run its course and we should go our separate ways. He agreed, fairly calmly, and I moved into the spare bedroom until we both found other options.
Two weeks later I came home from work and he was sitting in the living room with all the lights out, and his double barreled shotgun across his lap. I froze in the living room door. He looked up and, fairly calmly, gave me the old clichéd "If I can have you neither can anyone else". I tried to reason with him, while waiting for an opportunity to bolt, and wondering where my cat was (he was fine, just so you know). At some point during the "conversation" I did end up with the gun pointed at me. I still to this day do not know if it was loaded. I eventually made it out of the room and into the bathroom with the cordless phone, and this time, with more experience behind me, made a more intelligent choice - I called his dad, and his younger brother. I heard him go into the bedroom, and I bolted for a neighbour's. His dad showed up with both his brothers, they took him, and assured me he would not be back. (His father was a very gentle man; I suspect that if anything, Shotgun Boy's behaviors were learned from his mother)
He stalked me, including following me into parking lots, waiting up the street and parking across the end of the drive so I couldn't leave, showing up at my door screaming, etc.,etc., for about 6 months. He followed me one night to the dojo where I had started training, and started screaming at me. A number of the guys I trained with came to make sure everything was OK, and he left. Made me feel kinda good, to see people care about me.
It was likely the start of the healing process. This kind of thing went on until I severed all ties with anyone who were his friends or family, and moved 300 kms (185 miles) away.
I occasionally missed some of his family, and some of our common friends. But I know it was the best choice for me, and for my safety.
I saw him once, a few years later. He is the only one of my ex's I am actually afraid of. Our paths have not crossed in over 10 years; I just hope he learned his lesson, grew up, and did not hurt anyone else.
I do however understand the psychology of abused women. You think you deserve it, or at very least you don't deserve anything better; you make excuses for them; you think it is normal, and that once he realizes he is hurting you that he will stop, because he loves you. I know now that the thinking is wrong; but I understand how it can happen.
I also, dear friends, understand why some of you question my taste in men, and are questioning my relationship with someone who refuses to seek treatment for their PTSD. I do understand your concerns, and I love you for caring. But I have to be true to my heart, and I truly believe this will all work out.
Stay tuned for part 3.
2 comments:
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca
Good story! I usually do things on the job to help the stalked, but I think we need to start educating the boys before they start dating on how to not be an a----le.
ReplyDeleteThere are a few signs to look for-- obsessed behavior, drug and booze abuse, how they treat you during "normal" times etc.
A tough topic to write about...but when men turn about 20 years old, they are supposed to stop acting like a 16 year old.
I have a boy that at age 2 is quite the ladies guy. (And I am not somebody who stereotypes easily, but he can really hook girls (women, his age range preference is 7 months to 70).
ReplyDeleteOne time I joked to a dad of a girl who's eye my son caught that mine would be the boy that he would later warn his daughter about, ha ha ha.
After I said it, it really bothered me ... what I'd said. I am one of four girls, and have two daughters ages 5 & 6. What was I saying?!!!
I leaned over again and said, "You might warn your daughter about his flirtiness, but I and his dad are going to make sure you won't have to. This little alpha male (and he's so totally Alpha ... I don't have any others in my life, it is hilarious) is going to know how to treat people, especially women, with respect and honour. We will make sure of it. It is our duty and responsibility as his folk.
The world needs these alpha guys as much as they need the rest of us!