Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...

It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reintegration, step 1

I am back, after spending some time with Sebastian in his world.  The first visit went relatively well.  He is still a bit "there"; "Halfghanistan" to borrow a phrase from a dear friend.  But all in all, I think things went well. 

There were some good moments of sharing, of true connection, a lot of just hanging out an chilling, and we got a lot done.  He moved into a new apartment the day after he got home (as in, landed at 19:00, cleared in, 2 hour drive, humped his kit 50m in an un-plowed drive through 2-3' of snow to his old place ... and the delivery trucks started showing up the next morning, at the new place, with the new furniture that needed to be assembled.)  There was not as much phisycal affection as I would have liked, but I am fairly intuitive, and can read him fairly well, and he was just not there yet.  It was not a rebuff, just where his head is at.  And I am, honestly, OK with it.  We had some good talks, and some good, open, honest communication.  It was a great visit.


We hung pictures, arranged furniture, bought stuff he needed.  We bought curtains for most of the windows and hung them.  He is a bit uncomfortable, I think, with the blinds in the kitchen.  We settled on grass (bamboo) blinds, and he keeps walking into the kitchen in the evenings and saying "Well ... I guess I don't have to worry about anyone doing surveillance on me here."  (The blinds do allow a good silhouette).

We did the first trip to the grocery store (crowds and choices both being a challenge for recently returned soldiers, for the non-mil types reading).  We also did Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and a few other stores, which he handled pretty well, only retreating and letting me lead him a few times.  He caught himself saying what "we" needed for "our" place (even though we do not live together) and it made him smile ... which made me smile :-)

The only real challenge we had was when some buddies convinced us to go out to a club.  Reintegration + alcohol + flashing lights + crowds + loud noises almost ended really badly.  He did have a bit of a meltdown, needed to get out of the bar in a hurry and we went home, he opened up a lot on the ride home, but then when we were back in the "safety" of the apartment, just the two of us, all was well again, and by the time he had slept it off, he was OK.  (And realized it had likely been a bad idea).

I am home again now (well, at my parent's place, a post for another day).  He is mostly spending his time chilling, and playing Call Of Duty: Black Ops (Killing Zombies).  I talk to him a couple of times a day; not sure when I am going back up or he is coming down my way, but feeling pretty secure right now, pretty good.

Thanks for all the good wishes, my friends.  Namaste.

3 comments:

  1. At first I though that it is a shame that you two don’t live closer together so you could be there with and for him. But then I thought that it might be the best thing right now that he come to terms with state-side life at his own pace. But what do I know. I was Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dearest Coffey, I believe that all the elements (Land, Sea, Air) have their re-integration challenges. The Wolf had done a 12 month tour attached to a frigate in the Gulf, and coming home was hard from that one, too.
    I think it is too bad for ME that I don't live closer to S, but for him, right now, I think the distance is good, as he puts everything back into its own little "box" and gets everything sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upon reflection (doesn’t that sound fancy and intelligent?) I do remember my life after my discharge. Too much booze, too little patience with civilians who thought they knew more about the military and their focus, yet never served (thus needing an ass-whooping), and attitude in general. There is definitely a need to readjust. But I never had to face open combat and I always tell anyone who tries to thank me for serving that I just served and did nothing of importance. Thank the ones who are making the huge sacrifices.

    ReplyDelete

I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca