Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Lebanese Meat Balls
Whoo Hooo!! Domestic Witch is once again hosting her "Christmas Balls" Blog party!
Last year I contributed my recipe for Gluten Free Walnut Rum Balls. Lately I have been craving savoury more than sweet, so I have a slightly different offering (which I have been specifically requested to make for New Years!)
I was first introduced to Kofta by the Lebanese husband of a woman I belly dance with. I learned a lot from him, about cooking, and about life.
For every pound of ground meat use the following spices (more or less - I don't measure, I just go as the mood strikes me). I make it often enough that I keep a jar of the dry spices pre mixed in the cupboard.
I find it works best with beef. Ground Lamb is traditional, and I have also done it with ground turkey or chicken, which gives a much stronger flavour.
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons grated onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Mash the garlic into a paste with the salt using a mortar and pestle or the flat side of a chef's knife on your cutting board. Mix the garlic and everything else into the ground meat until well blended. Form the mixture into balls.(Hint - wetting your hands often while making meat balls helps keep you cleaner). Before cooking it is recommended to refrigerate them at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours, but I am rarely organized enough to have them done in advance.I do mine in the oven (on a broiler pan) or on the BBQ. Traditionally, they would be done as kebabs over a grill, but I can never get mine to stay together on the skewers, so I just make meat balls.
They are lovely served with hummous, pita bread, fresh leaf lettuce, mint, and tzatziki ( I know tzatziki isn't Lebanese, but it is really good with Kofta!).
Stay tuned ... there may be more balls in the air before this party is over!
2 comments:
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca

If I wanted Lebanese Balls I would curse the gay bars in Atlanta. Oh! Sorry! I don't cook so I immediately misunderstood.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for joining in again!!!
ReplyDelete