Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Good night, one rough moment
Being a typical hunting association banquet, there were about 14 guns there, shotguns for the most part, to be auctioned, raffled off etc.
I was raised around guns - my dad and uncle farmed together, and my dad was a cop. We were taught that guns were tools, for a specific job, and only for that job. We were also taught to treat all guns as if they were loaded, and always always always keep them pointed in a safe direction.
You will also recall, from Stalking stories part 2, that I have has a gun, a shotgun, pointed at me in anger, albeit almost 20 years ago now.
I was working on the door for the banquet tonight, and about 15' behind me was a raffle for a Remington 1100 G3 shotgun. At one point I turned to look over my shoulder and was staring right down the barrel. I called to a gentleman who was on the banquet committee and asked him to please move the gun a little, as it was upsetting me. He turned it enough that it was no longer pointing at me.
Unfortunately, the woman running that particular draw got upset, saying that he had "ruined' her display, and moved it back. He explained why he did it; she replied she didn't care. I did not have myself under good control at that point, and I explained to her, voice shaking and with tears in my eyes, that I have been on the wrong end of a gun pointed in anger, and it was really bothering me to have to stare down the barrel every time I looked behind me. She said "get over it". (For those of you who know guns, the action was also closed, not open as a displayed gun should be, and it was not trigger locked.) Even though I *knew* the gun was not loaded, I just couldn't handle having it pointed at me.
I went for a walk to get control of myself, and then stood at a different part of the door table so I was not in the direct path of the barrel. The gentleman I had spoken with, much to his credit, without actually saying anything kept himself placed between me and the muzzle of the gun, to block my view, until I was done and went to take my place at our dinner table.
I realize my reaction was stronger than it should have been, but at the same time I think the other lady could have shown a bit of compassion in the situation. We were talking about a roughly 5 degree angle change on the gun in its display stand.
2 comments:
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca
"Get over it." My first thought was, are you kidding me? Second was, what a heartless so-and-so.
ReplyDeleteKudos to the guy who helped you out, and to you for dealing with it like an adult instead of bringing yourself to her level.
(hug)
Wow, i dont know that i would have been able to deal with it as well as you did.
ReplyDeleteWhat a very heartless woman tho!