Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Rock Climbing
Lunatic had climbed the night before, and is climbing again Friday, so he didn't climb, he was just my belay (safety line) slave all night. Which means I just kept climbing. No breaks. Likely not the brightest move.
I started on the 25' "easy" walls, and did three, one after another, boom-boom-boom. Then we moved to a slightly harder 35' wall. I made it 1/2 way up the first time, 3/4 of the way the second time, and, after a brief rest, conquered it the third time.
I rested a bit, watched the other climbers for pointers, and then finnished the night off with a harder wall that involved starting on an outside corner, traversing around the corner to the "side", then back around to the "front", a big stretch (for me) over to the flat face, and then a fairly simple assent up to the top. The first time I tried it I fell off trying to come back around the corner. Lunatic asked me if I wanted to come down, and I said "NO!" so he let me hang there and rest and plan my attack. I swung myself back onto the wall, and tried again.
This time I made the corner, almost made the big stretch, then fell off. I came back to the ground, rested for a minute, and tried again. I made it around the corner, made the big stretch (with some coaching) and almost got to the easy part, and fell off. Back to the bottom and up one more time; I fell off again at the big stretch.
By this point in the evening my arms were shaking so badly I knew there was no point in trying again. I know, I know, sore arms means I am climbing incorrectly - it is about your leg strength, not your arms. Lunatic says I need to stick my bum out more away from the wall instead of staying so tight.
All in all I had a really good night; I might go take an introductory lesson with one of their coaches.
I am proud of myself for last night. I am not fond of heights, but I pushed through. I am a control freak sometimes, but I trusted the Lunatic to keep me safe, and pushed outside my comfort zone. I tried something new, and didn't give up.
My arms feel OK today, no residual muscle soreness. Like all pain, healed with time.
5 comments:
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca
I found repelling more fun.
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you, too. I get shakey arms just climbing into my truck.
ReplyDeleteI tried repelling on my first descent. I got hollered at. It seems that's "not what one does" in an indoor climbing gym. Oops :-)
ReplyDeleteThat is really cool that you put yourself outside of your comfort zone and did it! Love to hear how the intro to rock climbing goes.
ReplyDeleteI'm too old and too f...kin' beat up....but you go girl !!!
ReplyDelete