Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...

It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)

Thursday, October 1, 2009

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes

Just sharing one of my favorite things. This has been my favorite of Shakespeare's sonnets since I first discovered it, in early high school. (ah, ya, I did just come back from a conference in Stratford, Ontario)


Sonnet 29 "When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes"

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf Heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,

Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least:

Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee,--and then my state
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth sings hymns at heaven's gate;

For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings'.


 William Shakespeare   (1564 - 1616)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca