I am pretty sure I "broke up with" a friend last night. The writing has been on the wall for this particular friendship for a while. I am a bit sad that the friendship had to end; I am much more upset about the way it ended. This is one of the relationships I was alluding to the other day.
I have a friend, Big Dog, I have mentioned him before. He is one of my "biker friends". He has been described by many as having "a heart of gold, and a big mouth". Unfortunately, he also has a drinking problem.
Big Dog and his wife separated in February. TW and I met him, or became friends with him at least, in April. He is funny, entertaining, smart, and considerate. When he is sober. When he drinks, he hits a tipping point wher he becomes beligerant, rude, and prone to poor choices.
There have been a couple of instances lately where the group has been at some fun events, and some of the fun has gone out of the day when Big Dog hits hit tipping point. Yesterday was the third day like that in the last 4 weeks.
It was another charity ball tourney. I had to bar tend at the legion for a different event, so I briefly stopped at the ball park in the morning, then went to work, and got back around 4 pm. By this point Big Dog was already well on his way to drunk.
Someone else had already taken his keys, but I know that he keep a second set in his truck, so I went and got the second set. When he discovered this, he got quite angry, but seemed to cool off. We all went back to the banquet, he continued to drink, but also had some food, and seemed to settle a bit. At this point he decided he was fine to drive home. I insisted on driving him home (I rarely drink, and hadn't drank at all yesterday). Someone else who was sober was going to follow me, and bring me back to the event for my truck.
All was fine ... until we got to his truck. Big Dog stood out side the driver's door and refused to get into the passenger seat. He began yeilling and swearing at me; I started to walk away, but the fellow who was going to drive me home came over and started yelling and swearing back. Big Dog eventually got in the passenger seat, but didn't speak to me for the ride home.
I know this has been evolving into a toxic freindship. I know I had to create some distance anyway, but I was hoping it could be done in a more friendly manner.
I hope that Big Dog's time knowing TW and I has planted a seed somewhere in his brain that he is a good man, worthy of good treatement, and that he deserves to be happy. I don't think those are messages he learned during his marriage. Hopefully, when he quits over watering himself, those seeds will have a chance to bloom.
Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca