Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...

It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mid life crisis?

It seems like many of my friends my age, myself included, are going through some sort of "mid life crisis", or at least mid life dissatisfaction. (if the 35 - 45 age counts as mid life?)


Except we are not buying fast cars, getting fake tans, and having extra-marital affairs. We are going back to school and changing careers. Some of us part time, some of us are throwing in the towel completely and quitting our jobs and returning full time.

I have been spending a lot of time lately thinking about my job, my career, and the things that I like and don't like about my current job, and the things I like and don't like about some of the volunteer opportunies I participate in, and gerenalls how to be happy and fullfilled, and get enthusiastic about my life again.


I was wondering if it was time for a change, time to look at other opportunities. I actually had a blog post written outlining my thoughts and feelings, and some options. Then the powers that be threw this lilttle wrinkle into things:

The powers that be in the government might be phasing out our program. They are at very least looking at us for some cost savings. Which is to say right now they are not declaring anyone's position surplus (government talk for laying you off), but they are not replacing anyone who retires, or otherwise leaves their position.

So basically, if I choose to move on to a new opportunity, I am signing the death warrant for the programs and volunteers I facilitate in this community.

I am still looking at some schooling, part time, but no big career change any time soon.  Of course, there are other things that will affect these decisions; I need to also place myself in a position to be marketable in a different georgraphic location, potentially.  But right now it is more like a poker game, playing the cards carefully, seeing what cards the other players have.

4 comments:

  1. I was going to list all the reasons I think this government (for us in BC both Fed and Prov) are strictly dogma, self-interest governing, but it got too long and I don't want to be rude. Aaaaaarg. But what to replace 'em with and how to stem the bloodletting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that my career is over (retired) I can look back and see things I should/could have done. One thing would be to keep taking classes in school. I did get my MBA, but there are so many other classes I could have taken - especially in the electronic fields. And keep your resume updated and put out feelers every month or so. This keeps your skills up and opens doors that you probably won't get if you are laid off. It is always good to have options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I’ve awarded you with a “Stylish Blogger Award!” If you chose to accept please visit my posthttp://thormoo.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-followed-rules-i-think.html:Grab the “Stylish Blogger” photo, and follow the rules. Thanks for being such a fantastic blogger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks dude! Will compy with rules soon!

    ReplyDelete

I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca