Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...

It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)

Friday, April 2, 2010

If you don't stand behind the troops ...

... feel free to stand in front of them.

I saw this bumper sticker again on a car today.  I have seen this slogan on t-shirts, coffee mugs, bumper stickers, web sites, and e-mail signatures.

It offends me.   (I declare this can of worms.... OPEN!)

Just give me a second.

I support the troops.  I really do.

To me, my gut reaction to the slogan is that it implies that people who don't support the troops should stand in front of them ... either to be shot by them, or to be used as human shields.  Which I am pretty sure is the kind of things the people we are fighting against do, not the kind of thing our own troops do.

I *understand* what is really being implied ~ that if you don't support the troops, try doing their job, seeing what they see ... but to me, that is not being made clear in the message.

I certainly haven't asked them all, but I like to think that the majority of our Canadian troops (and American, and British, and Australian, and ... you get it) would defend a civilian's right to their opinion, even if it differed from their own ... even if it meant them not agreeing with the approved mission, or "supporting the troops".  I would like to think that most of them would not want a civilian standing in front of them in an active theater.

I try to be clear, and only say things I mean.  To me, that slogan does not say what I mean.

Comments, as always, welcome and expected.  Please feel free to disagree with me!

11 comments:

  1. I posted a Friday Red post today - with a Wal Mart post too. I'm gifted that way. Posting two subjects on one post. I know, I know! I can hear you sighing with desire from here.

    I understand the intended humor in the bumper sticker. A crass way of saying you support the troops and have no respect for those who don’t. But the pussies do have the right to their own opinions and can even voice them as they wish, but that freedom of speech comes with consequences., too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about:

    "If you don't support the troops...oh well."

    "If you don't support the troops...OK, let me"

    "If you don't support the troops, then you're not a jock strap"

    "It's OK to not support the troops, just don't be a protesting long haired hippy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. My $0.02 is it's just that.. a slogan. I personally like it. However to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby and I both shudder when we see those things, what an aggressive way to 'ask' for support! I prefer a yellow ribbon, speaks loud and clear :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. hanks for stopping by my blog as joining the fun!! As for the slogan...how about "support our troops - even if you don't support the war"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I saw the slogan and the majority of the time I see it is on a bumper sticker which are meant to catch your attention and make you talk. So you have to agree that in the way it does it's job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness I found someone who thinks the same way as me about that slogan! I never told anyone how much I hated it, being a military spouse I figured I was the only one - I find it both ignorant and offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with your opinions on those stickers. There's part of me that chafes and cringes when I see it, but there's still a part of me that says "YEAH! DO THAT!" To the people who DON'T support the people who will support them in a crisis.
    People may not agree with A-stan... but they certainly don't complain when they come to save them from floods, avalanches and snow storms...

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are missing the point, the message is if you cannot support our first line of defense, then maybe you should try being in their position.... a soldier stands against all to protect us, if we can't support them then we need to do the job....most can't

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a troop and am a 49 year old female, a wife and a mother of four. I was deployed 6 years ago and am getting ready to go on my second deployment. You interpret the slogan however you see fit, bottom line is we have to make this a secure future for all kids, including my own and if going to war is going to make the U.S. a safer place to live in, I would deploy over and over and over again. If a slogan like this is going to offend people, so be it,someone needs to open up their eyes, the only ones not supporting the troops are the ones that are not intelligent enough to realize they have the option not to support us, because of us, the troops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe standing in front of troops is meant that you defend them back in home from those who are putting all blame on the shoulders of soldiers?
    I have been deployed in Afganistan twice and I have to say that people back home mostly hurt soldiers not with their lack of support but with unjust accusations. We do not start wars, we do not choose where we are sent - we are tools of politicians. So if you dont like whatever wars dont accuse soldiers.
    Thank you!
    NB! Im not neither american or canadian. Coming from Europa. I have worked both with US and Canadian forces and it has been good experience.

    ReplyDelete

I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca