It's only an old tale I heard in a rhyme, there are four women in every man's heart
Through the ages of love they pass one at a time, to hold you together, or tear you apart ...
The maid in the meadow who runs by your side ...
The Daemon lover who burns at your breast ...
The stout hearted women who'll give you her hand ...
The tall quiet woman who stands by your side ...
Through the ages of love they pass one at a time, to hold you together, or tear you apart ...
The maid in the meadow who runs by your side ...
The Daemon lover who burns at your breast ...
The stout hearted women who'll give you her hand ...
The tall quiet woman who stands by your side ...
Cue: I'm every woman, Whitney Houston ...
I am maid, mother, and crone.
I am the four women.
I am crow. I am bear. I am undiscovered.
I am every woman.
When I was first starting to learn about astrology, I was taught that you are born under the influence of 3 signs - your sun sign, your moon sign, and your rising sign (ascendant). These signs influence your behaviour and personality to varying degrees over your life, with your sun sign (Cancer, for me) dominant for your first 30 years, your moon sign (Taurus) dominant for the next 30, and your ascendant (Virgo) dominant for the "last" 30. I guess once you turn 90 you get to wear purple dresses with red hats, and be whoever you care to be! (note: this lesson was a long time ago, and I might not have it quite right)
So that led me to wonder if the same applies to spirit animals. I know I stongly identified with the crow when I was younger (in my first 30 years), and crow and his cousins are still my friends, and will come to me with messages when I choose to hear them. But I have felt a strong pull to bear for the last 5 or 6 years as well. Three years ago on my way to the cottage I saw a young of the year black bear get hit by a car, and I was (and still am) deeply affected by it. I have felt bear's energy when I meditate as well, and have been drawn to the quiet power and strenght of bear in art and nature.
Brigid, who is maid, mother, and crone in the Celtic mythos, is one woman who is all women. I believe we are all multi-faceted, bringing out the part of ourselves that needs to be dominant to deal with the situation that faces us. Sometimes the mother-Cancer-bear quiet strenght is needed to get though what is facing you; sometimes the Taurus persistence or the crow's cleverness will help win the day.
For my upcoming challenge, I hope that this will allow me to be a strong, capeable woman while the Wolf is away, and continue to live my life to the fullest. Yet when we can snatch time together, I can be the woman he needs me to be, and blend into the relationship with dignity and ease. I can be a whole person, and half of a relationship, all at the same time as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca