Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...

It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)

Friday, November 18, 2011

Red Friday ~ The Peacekeepers





I have posted before about the importance of Peace Keeping Missions, and why the veterans of those missions deserve full honours.  I came across this article while researching something else, and thought I would share it as today's Red Friday offering.


The full article can be found at http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=DagHammarskjold 
The Dag Hammarskjöld Medal is presented by the United Nations to the families of those who gave their lives in the service of the United Nations.


With over one hundred medals, Canada is the country that has paid the highest price in human life in the service of the United Nations over the last 50 years of peacekeeping operations. The Secretary-General presented one symbolic medal to each of the ambassadors representing countries that have lost personnel on UN missions. For Canada, the Medal of Acting Brigadier Harry Herbert Angle, D.S.O., E.D. was presented to our Canadian Ambassador to the UN, Paul Heinbecker, on 29 April 2002. Brigadier Angle was the first Canadian to die while serving the UN, he was killed in an airplane accident on 17 July 1950 while serving as Chief Military Observer in Kashmir on the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP).

Following this initial presentation, the medals were forwarded to the Directorate of Honours and Recognition (DH&R) for presentation co-ordination. Nearly 80 medals have already been presented to families in ceremonies conducted across the country but DH&R is seeking assistance to locate recipient’s family members to complete the other presentations. If you know the whereabouts of any surviving relative of the following recipients, please contact DH&R toll free at 1-877-741-8332.

RANKFIRST NAMESSURNAMEDATE OF DEATHMISSION
F/ORichard VaughanEDWARDS28 April 1966UNEF
CPLJoseph Paul RéalHUDON26 December 1985UNDOF
PTEDenis Auguste JosephLAMOTHE16 March 1966UNEF
MCPLJoseph RaymondLESSARD01 December 1972UNFICYP
CPLEmanuelOLIVIER09 December 1961UNEF
PTEJoseph Lionel GilbertPERRON06 August 1974UNFICYP
F/OJoseph M.L.P.PICARD30 April 1966UNEF
TPRReginald JamesWILEY07 September 1961UNEF

1 comment:

  1. Dag Hammarsjöld was the last great friend the US has had in the UN. But that is a very cool award for the sacrifice of brave men.

    ReplyDelete

I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca