Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...

It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ahhh ... Leave ....

I had an amazing 4 days with Sebastian, and am now safely back home, after an 8 hour drive.

He needed to spend time with a few guys in his troop who came home early due to injuries and have had a hard time re-adjusting, and then to spend some time with his family. He spent 20 years separated from his family and has only recently re-connected with them. The relationship is still fragile, and he doesn't mix "me" with "them", which is a decision I respect.

As predicted, there was a lot of laughter, a lot of talking, quite a few hugs, and a whole lot of Wii !!! Wow, are my arms sore! (From the Wii, not the hugs) I actually stopped on the way home and purchased one for myself, to prepare for future visits. :-)

We are both, for our own reasons, proceeding slowly with this relationship, taking the time to "get it right", and make sure we don't rush anything. I think this is good for us, and good for the relationship.

Of course, add to that the whole "half way home" brain (he is still, mentally, there as much as here).

The good thing is I didn't have any expectations for this visit, really, and as a result I am very happy with the way everything went. It was very comfortable from the first second he opened the door, like he hadn't been gone for 6 months. Everything just absolutely clicked. There was no awkwardness, not treading on broken glass around each other. It was just absolutely comfortable, absolutely right.

We went shopping, we picked out some furniture for his new apartment, he showed me the furniture he had already ordered. We got groceries, we cooked, we drank wine (OK, and a decent amount of Jameson's), we talked. He took me to the regiment and showed me around, introduced me to whatever guys were there. This, it seems, is a big step for him, the first time he has taken "a woman" there since his divorce quite a few years ago. Knowing the military community, I am sure there was lots of speculation and rumour after we left. But I really don't care!

I had also forgotten how lovely and firm a handshake the average soldier has. I appreciate it, for I hate a wimpy handshake, but my hand was actually sore by the time we left!

He goes back again way too soon, but the coutdown is on to home for good. He should, if all goes according to plan, be home before Christmas!!! What a wonderful present that will be. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a good time and things were as easy as you say. Give him my regards and respect next time you talk. And tell him, "Thank you and welcome home." from an old sailor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like, like, like. Sounds like you guys are doing really well and your ease with the situation really comes through - huge respect for that. I'm glad you enjoyed the leave and may his return home be swift (though not for the wrong reasons).

    ReplyDelete

I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca