This past weekend was a rough one for many in the military community; not only the anniversary of the September 11 attack in 2001, but also near to the anniversaries of Medak Pocket (Croatia), of operation Medusa (Afghanistan, 3-06) and the blue-on-blue (friendly fire) incident the same tour. September has been the highest month of the year for casualties throughout the Afghanistan war.
I spent a lot of time on the phone/video with S this weekend. I should have tried harder to be there, and am beating myself up for not being there, letting other things get in the way. Not 100% sure he would have let me, but ... I should have tried harder.
He was tired and burnt out from a really rough week at work, was staying up late and getting up early; and continued this through the weekend, with the addition of whiskey and watching too many documentaries on TV.
Supporting veterans and soldiers includes being there for them when they are dealing with their own memories; allowing them to mourn friends; allowing them a safe place to vent their feelings. Not judging them, or trying to make it better. Just being there.
Supporting the families of troops is sometimes the same - not judging, not trying to fix, not telling them what they should or shouldn't do - just being there. Listening. Hugging. being an ear.
Sometimes, that's the best thing in the world.
Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca