OK, here's another thing that has made my life a whole lot easier: digisplints ( www.digisplint.ca ).
These funky looking finger splints have made a huge difference in my life, and I highly recommend them to anyone who has arthritis pin in their hands. Most of my pain was back in the body of my hand, and I don't understand it, but wearing these splints has greatly reduced my day-to-day pain.
I regularly get asked about my "cool rings" and where I got them. I laugh, thank them, and try to educate people a little bit about what they actually are. I like to think that I have helped a few other people find some relief; I have certainly given out the web site and contact info often enough! The splints are made out of silver because it is strong enough to hold the fingers in place, but can be re-shaped (due to finger swelling) easily, and without causing metal fatigue.
A little background on me. I have Osteo-arthritis (OA), Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), Fibromyalgia (Fibro), and I am hyper-mobile (possibly Ehlers-Danlos Disease (ED), never had the testing). I have had RA and Fibro since I was about 8 years old.
I currently have 3 silver splints, and an Rx for 2 more. I will likely end up with them on all 8 finger proximal joints and the two thumb distal joints, and possibly a few on the finger distal joints (the smaller ones out near the ends of your fingers) as well. They do help immensely with the pain; they help slow down the deformation of my fingers over time, although I have noticed that my stubborn fingers are 1) rotating axially instead and 2) actually deforming the brace, since they really, really want to go off sideways. (Imagine stacking all your fingers up like a bird beak for a shadow puppet - that's what my fingers want to do on their own).
My choice in dealing with what I have been handed is to continue to live my life and do the things I want. I trained martial arts for many years, and have recently decided to "come out of retirement" for that. I also am a forester by training, and still operate a chain saw a few times a year.
Aside: Last time I spent the day bucking brush (using a chain saw) one of my splints was broken at the end of the day. So I sent it back to Derrick at Digisplint to be repaired. He did ask how I managed to break it, and I told him what I had been up to. Turns out I am his only customer with OA/RA that spends all day on a chain saw. Who knew?
Live life to the fullest. You never know what tomorrow may bring.
Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)

No comments:
Post a Comment
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca