CHIMO
The Canadian Military Engineer's greeting, toast and battlecry is "CHIMO" - pronounced CHEE-mo. This expression is also often used as a closing on correspondence between Engineers. When two Inuit meet on the Arctic tundra, each rubs his chest in a circular motion and says "Chimo" ("Are you friendly"). The answer is a repeat of the gesture and the word "Chimo"! ("Yes, I am friendly"). The current spelling and pronunciation is based on a Caucasian adaptation of the Inuktitut native language of northern Canada. The greeting was introduced during the time of unification to create a common tradition to the CME. The corps was also heavy involved with the development of Canada's North at the time.
PRO PATRIA
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori is a line from the Roman lyrical poet Horace's Odes (III.2.13). The line can be roughly translated into English as: "It is sweet and fitting to die for one's country." Thusly, Pro Patria is "For (one's) country.
"Pro Patria" is inscribed on the collar insignia of the Royal Canadian Regiment
VIGILAMUS PRO TE
We Stand On Guard For Thee (From our national anthem, for the non-Canadians in the crowd.)
Motto of the Canadian Forces Land Command (aka "The Army").
Tap and Drink
Tap of the Glass on the table after a toast to honour comrades no longer with us.
Je me souviens
"I will remember", or "I remember", in French. The motto of the Valcartier/Quebec City/Laval/St Hyacinthe based Royal 22e Régiment, who are also known as "The Van Doos", an english bastardization of "vingt-deux", the french word for 22.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Through adversity to the stars, the motto of the Canadian Forces Air Command. Comes, reportedly, from a book called "People of the Mists" written by Sir Henry Rider Haggard:
"To his right were two stately gates of iron fantastically wrought, supported by stone pillars on whose summit stood griffins of black marble embracing coats of arms and banners inscribed with the device 'Per Ardua ad Astra'".The translation from Latin is open for debate among
Thank you and this is awesome. Some very cool saying and mottos. I did make a list of mottos from our (US) Army and Marine’s Greek and Latin mottos. I’ll now add these to those.
ReplyDeleteVery cool - thanks for the info! Did you ever find out what the crossed rifle insignia means?
ReplyDeleteYes! It is a marksmanship thing, although I am a bit fuzzy on the details. The crossed rifles are a single year's achievement of marksmanship proficiency, and the crossed rifles with the crown over top (which S has) signifies the same achievement over several consecutive years (I think 4 minimum?) and can be "withdrawn" if the soldier fails to qualify any given year. I finally just asked him.
ReplyDelete