Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...

It seems Blogger is being a bit of a poop about publishing people's comments. If you would like to comment but are having trouble, please e-mail your comments to me, referencing the post title and including your preferred signature, to: wolfandcrowblog {at} yahoo{dot}ca (lower case, no spaces)

Monday, January 9, 2012

"People Pleaser"

(aside: I am still dealing with leftover steroid psychosis, but I am mostly dealing with it be ignoring it and hoping it goes away soon.  It either that or calling in a tactical strike on a co-worker that's pissing me off, and there's just too much paperwork involved in that so ... denial works.  A 2.5 mile walk at lunch also helped.)


If so many of us claim to be "people pleasers", then why are there so many displeased people in the world?


Yes. That was a rhetorical question.


I know why.


Some people are just permanently displeased, and are content that way. (Hellooooo, mother ....)


The bigger issue, is trying to please people in ways that don't work for them; driving yourself to do things that YOU think they want or need, instead of what they actually want or need.


Do I do this? Hell yes.  Frequently.  Mostly to the people I love the most.


We think we are being people pleasers when we try to step in and take other people's lessons away.  We try to fix their problems, we try to take the hurt away, we try to "mom" them. Often, the person we are trying to please either learns to take advantage of us, or starts to resent us.


We need to turn our inner mom into a tough-love parent.  We need to let people learn their lessons, and have the sense of achievement that comes with solving their own problems.


We need to give ourselves the respect to meet our own needs.  Obviously some of that comes from helping others, but we need to get pickier about how, when, and how often we do that.  If we really want to please the people we love, we have to respect their needs, their ways of living and growing, and their autonomy.  We need to be there for them in the way they need us to be there for them - even if that is by being a witness to their struggles, being the sounding board they turn to when they need to think something through on their own.


When I say we here, I mean I.  I need to do these things.  Maybe you do too, but that's your call to make.

2 comments:

  1. I have definitely seen this happen and yes, I have tried to "please" other people by imposing my own solutions or standards to a problem. I will often give someone their space when they are hurting because that is what I like when I'm hurt...solitude to heal. Well some would say I am ignoring or abandoning them by not giving them attention. All along I am assuming this is what they want! So much of this could have been avoided by better communication so I try and start there. Becoming a better listener though is what has made all the difference...not just in this scenario but in life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A long, long time ago I read Co-dependant No More by Melody Beattie....it changed my life forever.

    ReplyDelete

I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca