Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Fear, and torture
First off, I don't care for being upside down. I have low blood pressure, and when I'm upside down the blood pools in my head and makes my eyeballs hurt. I learned this in my early 20's when a fellow I was dating offered to let me see what his fall arrest harness felt like. He hung me from the garage roof ... and then he and his friends went for a beer. At some point of trying to get out, I flipped upside down. I couldn't get myself flipped back upright, so I hung there for a while. I was very upset when they came finally came back.
I am also disturbed by the thought of drowning. I do not say afraid because I enjoy water sports; fear of drowning while swimming, kayaking, or diving does not enter my head. I have always thought, however, that drowning would be one of the least pleasant ways to die.
When I was young, I almost drowned. I was doing underwater summersaults in water that was much too shallow, and got stuck. Upside down. With my head and shoulders wedged up against something. I was afraid, but it was a totally different kind of fear than the panicked terror I felt when I found the tarantula. Drowning was a calmer fear, if that makes sense, more of an "I am going to die, but I'm really not ready to; I really don't want to. Wonder what I can do about this?"
Where as the tarantula fear was more of an "OHDEARGODTHAT'SABIGSPIDER.REALLYBIGSPIDERreallybigspider...ANDITSFRACKINGMOVING ...awesome ... whimper ...".
Drowning (almost) wasn't like that. I was gasping and puking when I finally fought loose and got upright, but I never felt irrational, I never felt hysteria.
S and I had a conversation about the nature of fear. (and may I add, props to the guy for taking it totally in stride when I come out with, apropos of nothing "I don't think I'd do well with being water boarded"). He likened the "rational" fear to going into shock when faced with a serious injury - your brain shuts down all but what it "has to" do to survive. Where as he guesses that somewhere my brain "knew" that the odds of the tarantula being the deadly kind were slim (and it wasn't, it was a male desert blonde tarantula, about as dangerous as a wasp sting), so my survival instincts didn't kick in, and I was free to freak out.
So I am not sure which fear would kick in if I were being water boarded (not that its likely, but still ...) and I really don't care to find out.
Welcome to how my mind sometimes wanders ...
3 comments:
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca
I love it, it's good stuff. This may come as a surprise B but I think most of us have our "stuff" we think and ponder through out the course of any given day. And most of us probably wouldn't want to always share those thoughts with others. But I'm glad you did. I love glimpses into the way others think, feel and "see" life...hence the great joy I not only get from writing a blog but reading them...
ReplyDeleteI have almost drowned twice, once diving in a pool and bashing my head against the opposite wall...stupid, stupid, stupid. I was never really knocked out, but was stunned. And speaking of stunned, I once dove into the Chattahoochee (Chat a hoo chee) River on very hot day. The shock of the cold water on my sweaty, naked body stunned me in shock. I could not move and was going down in the swift water. If I hadn't bumped into a bolder I probably would have drowned. But I have no fear of swimming. I dive off my boat, and swim in 40' of water all the time. I don't think I have a real fear of anything...except a jealous husband...
ReplyDeleteBrilliant piece of writing, really. Brilliant.
ReplyDeleteHey ... are you going to come and play at Trifecta, or do a silly Friday Fluff thing with me?