When I moved away from the lakeshore, from the community that had initially welcomed me, I would attend church in whatever community I found myself in, for the first few weeks, but I never felt that same sense of welcome. I rarely attend church now, unless I am visiting my best friend, who's hubs happens to be a pastor.
My beliefs are not as rigid either; I follow a much broader path that would, I am sure, be deemed heresy but the Catholic church official governance.
This ramble is just to give some context to something that drifted through my head last night as I was falling asleep after a very long day. I was thinking about the comfort in ritual, and the sacrament of reconciliation (commonly called 'confession'). Contrary to popular derision from non-Catholics, the sacrament of reconciliation is not a carte blanche to mis-behave, not a "magic wand" that lets you go out and be bad again until next time. No, you honestly have to be sorry for what you have done, and truly intend to not do it any more.
So looking back at the last week, what am I sorry for? This is what came into my have-asleep, free wandering brain:
Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been years since my last confession.I am sorry for my attitude, and I truly do want to change ...
I have been playing God. I have been thinking that I can control things again, instead of accepting what is. This is the source of my pain. I've been blaming myself for the actions and reactions of others. I've been trying to figure out how to fix things that are not mine to fix.
B That was beautiful, courageous, very brave and honest. As part of my recovery program from addiction there is time when we make a list of our character defects (plus the things we've also done and said that hurt people in our lives) and then speak about them with someone we trust (Catholics often choose their Priest) It is very much like confession. That way we've identified areas we need help in and gotten that guilt etc out in the open by sharing it so we can move on and fix the issues that hurt us in the first place. You've heard me mention the Serenity Prayer on my Blog...I recite this little prayer daily to myself. It's simple but it's meaning is very profound:
ReplyDeleteGod grant me the Serenity to Accept the things I CANNOT CHANGE
The Courage to CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
And the WISDOM to KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.
BIG HUGS B, Peace and Much Love to you...T