Crow reminds us to learn to trust our intuition and personal integrity, to create our own standards, whether or not they match those of the world around us...It is said that in the courtship process the male crow's voice takes on a singing quality. This tells us what the basis of sacred law is. There is one unfailing principle by which we can test our principles, that of unconditional love.
Not able to comment?? I ♥ comments ...
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Sunday Confessional
When I go visit Sebastian, I sleep in the guest room.
That's right, we are not having sex.
People who know me well might need smelling salts right now, since I do admit that I have a "healthy appetite", and in previous relationships I have been fairly quick to jump into bed. I am not saying that's why they failed, but I do think it may have affected my judgement, and definitely taken the "getting to know each other" phase down a different path. I also have some things from my past that makes sex give a cretain flavour to my overall behaviour in a relationship.
For Sebastian's part, he admits he was "a bit of a tramp" when he was younger, and his marriage was, well ... odd right from the word go. He didn't exactly go into it with his eyes wide open. He may have been distracted by other things.
We had a lot of time to talk, to get to know each other's personalities, learn how each other think, and share our hopes, dreams, issues, and morals while he was in the sandbox. Despite the distance and logistical challenges, we actually managed to have many really, really great conversations.
Since he has been home, we have spent a decent amount of time physically in each other's company, and text regularly through out the day, every day, including when I get up, coffee breaks, lunch, after work, and good night texts. Heck, the boy even texted me the other day to tell me he was going to be a bit late getting home from work. (We live 500 km apart. What, did he expect me to keep supper warm??)
I admit there are times when the sexual tension in the air is thick enough to cut with a knife. I cetainly occasionally let my mind wander to the "what if" stage.
For us, for both of us, this is the right way to proceed for now. To be valued as a person, to really get to know a man I am not sleeping with, and have them like me anyway, is quite a new thing for me. To feel so solid in the fact that his love for me is based on who I am, not what he "gets from me" in a physical sense, has taken some getting used to. I think it is, to a degree at least, the same for him.
Sex will be the right thing to do at some point. S has already said he won't "make the mistake again of marrying someone he hasn't lived with", and for both of us sex is an important part of a relationship. A part, however, that neither of us is ready for at this point, mentally and emotionally. Although I honestly think I have less baggage on this point than he does.
I don't think it makes us any less committed to each other. I don't think it makes our relationship any less real, any less loving, or any less important to either one of us.
But it does, often, embarass me to admit it; because, I think in society's eyes, sex makes a relationship "real", gives it legitimacy. I feel like I will be judged, that we will be judged, based on our choice. I know I shouldn't care about that, but sometimes is is just easier to let people jump to their conculsions, and not correct them.
Interestingly, I have shared this little detail with a few other people before now, and two other military wives I shared it with both said that their early relationships with thier husbands followed the same path. I don't know if this is another commonality to folks that wear the uniform*, or just a comonality in the people who seem to be ebcoming part of my social circle at this turn in my life.
*trust me, I know there are a lot of "tramps", male and female, in uniform as well
I have no doubts about what we have, and I know I shouldn't let the fear of other's judgements make me uncomfortable about the choice we have made. For the record, S is not embarassed at all, and will be quite blunt if asked. Maybe this is my "practice run" at becoming more comfortable with being proud of our choice, as opposed to embarrassed.
And please, those of you who throw the occasional innuendo into your comments, don't stop - they make me laugh, they don't make me uncomfortable. I just wanted to be completely honest today on this topic.
2 comments:
I can see from StatCounter that some of you are trying to comment, but those comments are not making it through. I was unable to comment on Blogs while using Internet Explorer; I had to switch to Google Chrome.
I love hearing your thoughts, and do publish everything that isn't spam.
If you are having trouble, you can also e-mail me: wolfandcrowblog (at) yahoo (dot) ca
I don't find that fact odd at all. Of course that is coming from a guy who himself has been celibate for 4 years.
ReplyDeleteIn my situation it wasn't a conscience decision to avoid sex as much as it was the fact that I realized I had other priorities in life, more important then romantic relationships. I need to learn to live on my own, get healthy and really develop healthy relationships before i started getting THAT involved.
Time has proven it to have been the right decision. But I understand how awkward it can feel because it's what I always did: be in a relationship which included an active sex life. Today I don't worry about it (I once worried about it a lot as if I was really screwed up because of those choices."
So More power to you two...I think you'll both discover that is exactly where you should be and I believe (from experience and again, hindsight) that the best relationships begin as a strong friendship. It seems like you and S are already there! Best regards always, Basinah....T
Doesn't sound weird at all... sounds pretty healthy to me. Too many people jump into the sack with someone they haven't really taken the time to know, and then they fall apart when the 'chemistry' is gone, because they never bothered to build anything else.
ReplyDelete(Actually, if you want to know... statistics bear out that marriage relationships last longer if the relationships DON'T start with sex and if they aren't preceded by cohabiting.)